"Collage is the twentieth century's greatest innovation."
-Robert Motherwell

Friday, June 15, 2012

How To Be Happy

My friend Scout once told me that the key to happiness is getting excited about everything. 

"For example," said Scout, "Here I have a glass of water."  I looked at her blankly.  "You see, generally we would take such an object for granted, but think of it like this; more than half of your body is made up of water.  You need water to survive.  You can kill someone with water.  You can use water to save lives by putting out a fire.  It is made of hundreds of molocules.  We swim and splash and play in it.  There would be no life without it, and you have it in a glass!" 

Scout, you are absolutely right.  It's time we started getting exited about everything.  So, this summer, I will get exited about things. When I go to the beach, I will lay on the sand and wonder how anything so soft can be made up of millions of little pieces of rocks! When I let the waves crash over top of me, I will remember that I am sharing that water with sharks, and dolphins, and sea turtles!


When I play with my dog,  I will examine his little paws and feel his soft snout and think how crazy it is that God made animals to look cute to us (honestly, our dog is the cutest in the intire world)!  When I curl up by a summer bon fire, I will contemplate how the same thing that destroys forests and homes can give me such comfort.  While I stare up at the stars, I will not even be able to fathom how far away from me they are.  I won't be able to fathom how much God loves me (or why for that matter) or why he placed our world in the perfect location to view the universe. 


That is all.  Toodaloo :)

2 comments:

  1. I adore this post, darling! And I'm so happy to have been the inspiration for it. <3

    ReplyDelete