"Collage is the twentieth century's greatest innovation."
-Robert Motherwell

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tunes Across The Pond

      I love music.  But then, doesn't everyone?  I mean, you never hear anyone badmouth music.  I've heard people vehemently appose certain genres of music (like country, people are always hating on country music), but never music in general. 

      I will listen to pretty much anything.  When I am introduced to a new music genre and I happen to like it, I go crazy over it.  I start stalking musicians who sing in that genre and play it in my room constantly. 
      Last summer, a good friend of mine opened my eyes to the world of British Pop.  I instantly fell in love with the dry, witty British humor and the pumpy beats.  There is something about British culture that intriuges me.  They're classy yet edgy with everything they do.  Their music is no exception. My favorite Brit artist so far is Kate Nash.  Her lyrics are literally "laugh out loud funny" if you'll excuse my use of movie critique lingo.  Every one of her songs has something surprisingly comical.  Here's an example of the matchless humor of the british;
    
      "You say I must eat so many lemons, 'cause I am so bitter.  I say I'd rather be with your friend's mate, cause they are much fitter."  
     
      This particular line comes from her song "Foundations".  I will not be posting this song because it has some language in it and I like to keep my blog posts clean.  However, I will post "pumpkin soup" which is another one of my favorites and is clean. 

 

      You like?  I thought so.  This is a great running song.  It's also a great roll-down-your-car windows- while-your-driving-with-your-friends-and-sing-out loud-song. 
      My all time favorite song by Miss Nash is "Merry Happy."  It's one of those songs that just makes you happy.  I picture the color yellow when I hear it.  I'm not sure why. 



      I mean really?  Who sings about this kind of stuff?  Who makes a song about getting checked out?  The answer is, the British! Those Brits are happy, fun-loving people.  Most popular American singers sing about broken hearts and other depressing stuff.  The British, on the other hand, sing about how quirky life is. 
      I hope you enjoyed these songs enough to go and Google British Pop!  Thanks for reading :). 

No comments:

Post a Comment